Helping arts organisations with access
I have worked for Opera North organising their access performances since 2013, during which time I have;
- Built up a pool of local providers for audio description, signing and captioning
- Scripted and recorded audio introductions for productions
- Developed and managed their first full-length dementia friendly opera
- Developed and managed their first relaxed performance in the Howard Assembly Room
- Co-created their in-house audio description and captioning styles and methods
- Developed their first ever pre-recorded audio description for the UK tour of Parsifal in June 2022
The first and best option is always to ask for advice from people with lived experience of disability. But as well as that, I am very happy to share the knowledge I have with venues and arts organisations to improve accessibility with quick, easy and cost-effective wins.
My top tips are: just do it, talk about access right at the very start of any project, work locally, use technology and most importantly, talk to your audience to find out what they want. And have a listen to my Podcast where you can hear from experts in the field.
Book in a free thirty minute chat with me if you want any advice.
Email [email protected]